Frequently Asked Questions
About our Scooter Tours & Rentals
1. What if I don’t know how to ride, or have never ridden a scooter before? This isn’t a problem. We start each tour with a lesson to make sure everyone is feeling confident and competent before leaving on the excursion. Our guides/instructors will help you get comfortable and won’t let you go until you’re ready. You’ll be confident quickly and get over any hesitation you may have had to the point where most beginners are doing great within minutes. If you can ride a bicycle, you can ride a scooter.
2. What if it rains the day of my tour? We run our tours rain or shine, however If it rains we give you the option of cancelling the tour and will give you your money back. We do have other tour options if it’s raining (We offer one of the best van tours in Skagway) so don’t let a little liquid sunshine get you down.
We have a saying in Alaska. “If you don’t like the weather, wait 5 minutes”
3. What if it’s too cold to ride? We’ll ride even if it’s cold. Just bring warm jackets and gloves and you should be fine. We provide extra warm riding gear as well that you’re welcome to borrow on your tour.
4. Are there bathroom stops? Yes, there are plenty of bathroom stops throughout your tour. You won’t have to go more than 20 minutes or so between stops to find a bathroom.
5. Do the scooters have a weight limit? The scooter are designed to carry adults without issue. However, the tour has a few hills which make it a challenge for the scooter if it’s extremely weighted down. Unfortunately we require a total weight of no more than 250 pounds.
6. Am I required to wear a helmet? There is currently no helmet law in Alaska, however we do strongly recommend everyone wear a helmet for their own safety. Helmets are provided at no extra charge at the beginning of each tour. If you absolutely refuse to wear a helmet for any reason, we have a waiver that you can sign that acknowledges you are doing so on your own volition, and against our recommendations.
7. Is there any required riding gear? Helmets are all we really will encourage strongly, but it’s also a good idea to wear closed shoes. These will help you feel steady when you put your feet down to stop. Flip-flops and high heels are not practical riding shoes. Windbreakers / rain jackets and long pants are also recommended as it can get a little chilly with the wind while we are moving. We do have warm gear on site if you need something extra.
8. How old do I need to be to drive or ride the scooter? To rent a scooter you are required to have a valid driver’s license, and be at least 18 years of age.
9. Can we ride with a passenger on the scooter? Unfortunately our scooters only seat one person. If you are coming with a partner you will both need to rent your own scooter. But don’t fret, if you’re having worries about riding your own scooter, we do a free riding lesson prior to each tour. We want to make sure everyone is comfortable before leaving on each tour.
10. If we rent the scooters, where can we go? Can we ride them up the South Klondike Highway? You can ride the scooters around town, along the Taiya Inlet and out to Dyea, there are lots of beautiful places to stop for photos and learn some of the rich gold rush history. Our staff will provide you with a map of all the neat places to check out. The scooters are not allowed on the South Klondike Highway due to their size and speed limitations as it is an extremely busy highway with a lot of large fast moving vehicles.